DBGen is a company highly specialized in the genetic testing of vision disorders. Our raison d’être is to offer genetic diagnosis of high quality, reliable and affordable.
Identification of the causative gene ensures clinical diagnosis and allows to guide the patient towards emerging gene therapies for vision pathologies. DBGen team is firmly commitment to contribute to precision medicine promoting innovation and implementation of new diagnostic strategies based on latest conceptual and methodological advances.
DBGen has renewed the GenQA quality certification for one more year (Eye Disorders 2022).
Excellence in research and service
Decisive commitment to the patient’s quality of life
Genetic diagnosis applied to precision medicine
- 70-80% diagnostic yield.
- Thorough and insightful interpretation of results by a team of experts led by scientists with over 30 years of research experience in the study of inherited ocular diseases.
- Comprehensive and continuous follow up of the conceptual advances in genetics and clinical findings associated with ocular pathologies.
- Incorporation of state-of-the-art methodologies and equipment along with optimized bioinformatics tools designed to increase the diagnostic yield.
- Proximity with the patient, the ophthalmologist, patients’ associations and ophthalmological institutions.
- Accurate, comprehensive and easy to understand genetics reports. Available in different languages (English, Spanish, Catalan).
- Availability of functional studies, on demand, to assess the pathogenicity of novel variants.
- Tailored approach to diagnose challenging and atypical cases including those previously unsolved in other testing labs.
- The high professional standards of DBGen allows defining, confirming or reconsidering the clinical diagnosis.
- Re-analysis tests on demand to identify new genetic variants with clinical relevance to complement a previous diagnosis.
Strabismus as the first symptom of severe congenital disorders
Strabismus is a disorder in which the two eyes are not aligned. The most common form of strabismus is known as «cross-eyed». In most cases it is harmless and
The College of Biologists of Catalonia (CBC) awards the distinction of «Collegiate of Honor» to Dr. Roser González-Duarte
The College of Biologists of Catalonia (CBC) has held (04.21.23) the 6th edition of the Biologist’s Day Awards. The emeritus professor of genetics and co-founder of DBGen Roser González-Duarte has
World Rare Disease Day. Interview with a patient
Today is the World Day for Rare Diseases, that is, diseases that affect less than 1 in 2,000 people. Most of these diseases are pediatric and a premature diagnosis
The DBGen team
The company was founded by a team of specialized researchers in genetics at the University of Barcelona, who have been conducting basic research on genetic diseases of the retina for over 25 years.
Our team, which also includes experts in communications and management, as well as qualified technicians, is devoted to basic research and has contributed, through numerous publications, to identifying new pathogenic genes and mutations, and to building DNA diagnostic chips. The increased social demand for accurate genetic diagnoses from patients, associations and ophthalmologists is what drove us to create this genetic diagnostic service as a spin-off of the University of Barcelona.
Collaborators and clients
APEC Hospital de la Ceguera (México)
Centro de la Visión – Clínica Las Condes (Chile)
Centro de Oftalmología Barraquer
CNAG – CRG
Es Retina Asturias
Fundació Bosch i Gimpera
Grupo CRB1 España y Latinoamérica
Hospital Clínic de Barcelona
Hospital de Sabadell Parc Taulí
Hospital Germans Trias i Pujol
Hospital Sant Joan de Déu
Institut Català de Retina (ICR)
Instituto Universitario de Oftalmobiología Aplicada (IOBA)
Stargardt APNES – Retina Argentina
StargardtGo – PedRetina
Accreditations & Certifications
Genetic diagnosis laboratory authorized by the Government of Catalonia Department of Health (E08709630), certified according to the ISO 9001:2015 standard (ES20/87394) and awarded with the highest rating by the Genomics Quality Assessment (GenQA) EQA provider.
The work of DBGen Ocular Genomics has been recognised with the following honors and awards